Saturday, September 4, 2010

Anti-climactic

After two reconnaissance missions, Chigiy and I feel pretty sure that Wellie is not currently residing at the home of Mystery Woman from San Jose.

We walked around her place in daylight while she was not at home, and could hear her pet birds vocalizing.  We vocalized.  In response, we heard parakeets and a cockatiel.  I do not doubt that if Wellie had been there, she would have made her presence known. 

So, it's good news and bad news, I guess.  Mostly bad.

I am relieved that this person whom I suspected did not take the bird (or if she did, the bird has since either escaped or been released).  Anyway, Wellie's non-kidnapping restores an iota of my already marginal faith in humanity, and offers some closure.  Given the absolute, complete disappearance of the bird, I think I have to assume the worst, that Wellie is no more.

I didn't want to have an awkward encounter with a person who had stolen a sort-of pet from the wild, and yet, I did want to believe my birdy was still alive out there somewhere.  I don't think my suspicions were entirely unfounded, but I have been aware, all along, that a certain amount of denial was in effect.  I know, I am a jackass.  Ha.  I said it first.

In Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays by Candace Savage, I read the following (actually written about magpies, but I think very analagous), and it is one of those nuggets of information that both saddens and comforts:

"In one study, more than a fifth of magpie fledglings fell prey to owls, hawks, and falcons within two weeks of leaving the nest."  

1 comment:

  1. You are not a jackass. You just loved a very lovable bird and cared a lot. I did notice, however, that you left out our antics of the night before. hmmmm. probably for the best.

    ReplyDelete