Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Where to Begin?

I have a neighbor, well, I'll call her a friend - Chigiy. We walk our dogs together in the open space near my house, and we laugh a lot.

Now, my family has collected quite an assortment of creatures here on Maniac Mountain. By way of explanation, I might say that a) my family really likes animals, and/or b) I am a total sucker.

A while back, Chigiy started sending me Craigslistings for every imaginable cast-off creature, from chickens and bunnies to pythons and goats. The running joke is, "Another addition for the Roadside Attraction!" I am not yet entirely convinced that the opening of such an establishment is the path to financial splendor. But since I seem to be running the place anyway....

So that you don't immediately think that we are some kind of awful hoarders, I will now list the current Non-Human Residents here at the Roadside Attraction:
  • One female boxer, a.k.a. My Third Child.
  • Two kitteh brothers (two-for-one holiday special -- thanks Shelter Ladies.)
  • Three laying hens.
  • A Russian Tortoise.
  • An albino rat, who is currently enjoying a spa vacation with one of her admirers.
  • A Welsh Cobb/Arab whom my daughter rides and loves. Technically, he resides in the corral across the street, but I'm still going to include him in the Attraction.
Most recently, we found a fluffy gray fledgling scrub jay stuck down in the window well. The cats were circling her like great white sharks while she bravely told them off. Anyway, the last few weeks of raising her have been full of wonder, surprise, and delight. Every time I tell Chigiy the latest about Wellington (Wellie for short), Chigiy rolls her eyes and rants, "Why don't you have a blog?!"

So here it is.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I want to read more. You have such a wonderful voice. More! More!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you have a blog?!"Indeed! And finally. You do! Great! As for attractions - What, no "partridge in pear tree?" Next xmas?

    ReplyDelete