Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Notifying the Neighbors

Chigiy realized before I did that I had better let people in the neighborhood know about Wellington, lest there be any mishaps. She had told the one neighbor who is nervous about birds about our little scrub jay. Guess where Wellie showed up the very next day? Chigiy is brilliant.

So here's what I sent.

**********************

Hi Everyone,

While this is quite possibly the most random e-mail you'll get all summer, I hope this info can prevent any inter-species misunderstandings, and maybe even bring some enjoyment to you and yours.

Here's the story. On July 4th I found a fluffy little scrub jay baby down in our window well. Normally, I would leave a fledgling for the parents to care for, but the cats were circling like sharks. I had to intervene. I brought her in to safety, and we subsequently raised her on chick starter crumble, table food, and true love.

We all became very attached to one another, but I couldn't justify keeping a perfectly healthy jay captive. So when she mastered flight, we opened up her cage, and opened up the house. It took her about a week to muster the courage to head out into the big wide world. Now, she comes and goes from our house at will. To our delight, she arrives daily to boss us around, share meals, and "help" with various projects. As far as I can tell, she also has jay friends (or relatives).

Anyway, we were out all day today, and I heard from Chigiy that Wellie (named after the infamous window well) is beginning to venture forth ever farther, meeting her neighbors! She is very friendly and social, but if you didn't know there's a tame jay in the area, her behavior might seem odd, to say the least.

When she wants to meet you, (and she pretty much always does) she will sometimes swoop in low over your head, land just a few feet away from you, and check you out. Alternately, she will appear seemingly out of nowhere and land right on your head or shoulder. I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone who is uncomfortable with birds!!! If you don't want her around, just shoo her away. I have no doubt she can find someone else to pester who doesn't mind.

I guess the thing to understand about her is that while she is tame, she is a wild bird. She really enjoys human company, but she has a strong beak and doesn't really understand that this can make things hard for us. While she does not bite (like a parrot might, for example), she does use her beak in a typically corvid fashion, poking, pecking, and tugging at interesting things. If you permit her, she will avidly investigate jewelery, buttons, anything shiny or colorful or dangly.

If you are comfortable with her landing on your shoulder, resist the urge to turn and look directly at her. She has given each of us a memorable peck in the eye. While no one has been injured, it's not something I'd want to repeat. Again, her pecks at the eye are not viciousness or aggression, but rather curiosity and exploration, and ONLY have occurred when I have turned my eyes directly toward her while she is sitting on my shoulder. I assure you she will not attack you, but I do understand how very, very surprising/alarming it would be to have a scrub jay come whooshing down and land directly on your person totally out of the blue.

If you want to encourage her company, you can talk to her, whistle, or pat your shoulder. She'll take food from your hand, hop to your shoulder, and sometimes enjoy it while perched there, wiping her beak on your shirt when she's finished. Or she might choose to hide a really good treat in your hair. She will step up onto your finger. If you make a jay-like sound, she'll make one back. I am continuing her training in beer-opening, but we have a ways to go yet. Marcus, you are welcome to begin uncorking lessons with her any time. ;)

Anyway, I think you get the idea. Just wanted to let you all know what she's like, and why she is like that.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and please forward this to anyone not listed above who you think should know about our beloved Wellie.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment