Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tree Assault

Thursday

Even before breakfast, we climbed as high as we could into the oak tree in search of the stolen hearing aid (wherein "we," refers exclusively to my brave husband). I worried with each passing moment of daylight that Wellie would capriciously decide to relocate the hearing aid while we weren't looking. Of course, this assumes a lot, specifically, that the hearing aid is actually IN that tree.

I think it might be. Wellington was immediately on scene. I couldn't quite tell if our presence in the tree was cause for delight or offense. She was all over James, perching on his pocket and trying to steal pens.

Down below, we combed carefully through the dirt, leaves, and other meadow detritus beneath the tree. We bought a metal detector, and pressed it into service. We found a binder clip.

I tossed ropes over boughs and tugged desperately, squinting into the rain of leaves and twigs for what might possibly be a falling hearing aid.

I aimed the blower up into the branches and hoped for a miracle.

No dice.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I'm guessing that your blog name is a reference to the hilarious Tom Robbins novel? Go girl. Find that hearing aid. And next time Finn goes heavenward to search for errant hearing aids, give him a camera to bring back pix. xoxo r

    ReplyDelete