Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"What? What's that you said?"

Wellington the Scrub Jay was so adorable tonight. She came to see us all at the barn as the girls finished their riding lesson. She was busily hopping around and commenting on the general assembly.

I picked her up and took her over to introduce her properly to Gerald, our 70-something year-old riding instructor. As I know he is a bird owner himself, and generally good with animals, I thought he'd enjoy meeting her.

He smiled and laughed as she hopped onto his shoulder and began her endearing scrub jay antics, investigating his shirt collar and tweed cap. I was delighted she was being so friendly. She tends to be flighty outdoors. (Imagine that).

At any rate, I was unprepared for what happened next. Wellie discovered Gerald's hearing aid and yanked it right out of his ear, holding it triumphantly aloft for all to see. It was a moment I will not soon forget (though I will try).

I remember deciding not to actually dive-tackle her. I also remember thinking that I didn't want her to know how badly we wanted that particular treasure. With a small crowd looking on....what to do?

"Feign. Utter. Indifference." I told myself. Nevertheless, I could hear the edge in my voice as I called, um, sweetly to her. She didn't buy it for a nanosecond. In retrospect, I believe I should have gone for an immediate dive-tackle. Live and learn, live and learn.

We watched her fly up onto the little barn that houses the pony cart. The kids easily climb up there, so I dispatched Tessa in pursuit.

Continuing the game, Wellie took off across the round pen and flew into an oak tree in our meadow. Luckily, an eyewitness reported seeing her alight in the tree WITH the hearing aid still in her beak. When next sighted, her beak was empty. Now she was simply having a grand time watching us watch her.

With the light rapidly fading, I sent Finn shimmying up the tree as James and I peered around beneath with flashlights. No luck.

Hearing aids cost $1300 a pair. I hope that morning light will be more revealing.

Does anyone have a metal detector we can borrow?

3 comments:

  1. Any luck? I am home with child induced headache. But I plant to be down later to help search some more. I have told this story several times today.
    Although I know the outcome could be bad, I have never heard so many belly laughs over one nervy little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plant? I can get away from gardening I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chigiy, James also got some good guffaws from co-workers.

    ReplyDelete