Monday, August 30, 2010

Spooky

For the entirety of last summer, we enjoyed the company of "Guardian Frog" (photo pending, I have to search the archives).  He was a little tree frog who lived in a shoe on an upper shelf next to the light in the carport.  His presence was always delightful and cheering.  Frogs are wicked cute.

This summer's tiny pooka is more ambiguous.  I have been somewhat delighted yet vaguely appalled by the continuing presence of a banana slug that appears every single morning at our front door (which happens to be a sliding glass door).  I find it fascinating that this creature keeps to a routine that is as (or more) regular than our own.  (I guess slugs don't get weekends?) 

The other day, I showed this hanger-on to my friend Chigiy.  Who (of course), immediately suggested I incorporate it into the Roadside Attraction.  Well of course!  In case you don't know, Ariolimax columbianusa.k.a. The Pacific Banana Slug, is the second-largest species of terrestrial slug in the world.  (Woo-hoo!  Now I'm beginning to feel proud).  And, they are hermaphroditic.  (See, I told you there was ambiguity).

Dutifully, I went to get my camera.  In no hurry. Turned out the camera card was still in the computer, blah blah blah.  When I finally got it all together and wandered back to the front door a few minutes later, the banana slug was NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.  What?  It must be around here somewhere.  It's a slug, right?  It couldn't have gone far.... 

I could not, did not find it.

Spooky!  Are they shape-shifters?  Seriously, how fast can one slug move?

Today, of course, Banana Slug was back in position in its regular spot. But now it has the perfect name.  We're calling it SPOOKY.

The sexy hermaphroditic banana slug "Spooky" graces the threshold of Our Roadside Attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment